Mar 18, 2012

John Carter is lavish, long, and not interesting

I have heard two things about the movie John Carter; that it won't make its money back and either it changed too much or not enough from the book(s).  I will do my best to talk about other things.

The design of everything in this movie is so perfect it's boring.  90% of the cast is assisted or composed entirely of CGI and after 10 minutes I was accepting them as if they were the most boring objects in the world.  They did not take me out of the movie but they also made no effort to bring me in.  It all blended together with its bland design and technical competence.

John Carter is not strong enough a character to make me care about the insane amount of story this movie is trying to cram in.  The guy plays him fine, but in Star Wars there were multiple characters that people could identify with to lessen the burden of exposition.  But this movie falls on John's shoulders and aside from being a lovable brute, I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care about his issues on Earth and Mars.  His alien pet did remind me of Spencer though, so props for that.

This movie takes a while to start and a while to end.  The movie has a stuttering beginning and end.  This movie starts 3 times and ends 3 times.  Cut that out.  It is annoying.  You are not Lord of the Rings.

The princess in the movie is a much stronger actor and character than John is.  I know we need an earth connection but I think there is a better story from her perspective.  But then again she is a woman which no one would dare put an action movie around.


No comments:

Post a Comment