Mar 14, 2012

SMASH (orchestra tune up sound and lightbulb sign)

There is a show called SMASH (all caps) on NBC right now.  I haven't posted in a while so I thought I should go over some of the reasons why I like the show, ignoring all of the reasons I shouldn't like the show.

1.  Musical!
I am not a cultured person so it is fun seeing how they are putting on Marilyn the musical.  I am sure this is nothing how it is like in the real world but it is exciting.

2.  Marilyn!
They don't actually talk about her much aside from her getting married to Joe DiMaggio but its neat to hear about in passing.  I know nothing of history and Marilyn seems to be ingrained with a lot of it so it's all new to me.

3.  Songs!
There are two types of songs in SMASH, the broadway style ones where they are auditioning or practicing with new music and ones where they are singing their feelings or kareoke something.  The audition/practice ones are exciting and fun as they transition from real life to an imagined theatrical performance.

The feelings/kareoke ones are terrible and I skip them at first opportunity.

4.  Girls!  Gays!
I like decent female performances.... and despite a lot of corn this show has some.  I also like shows that support my belief that every gay person is part of the New York theater scene.

5.  NBC!
I just want this network to succeed.  I don't want it to be #1 MUST SEE TV * SEINFIELD NOISE, but I want it to continue to make decent shows that stick around for a couple of years.

Last Monday's episode got 7.9 million viewers (I watch it on Hulu so I'm not one of them), hopefully that is enough for a second season.

No comments:

Post a Comment