May 22, 2011

Auto-Facetagging is Creepy


I got a new camera and a desperately seeking subjects while I learn to use it (or until I break it). After putting my first photo set on my computer I decided to tag some faces, this is one of the random but increasingly frequent times that technology made me feel sick.


My computer went through my other pictures and guessed what other ones had my people in it. While the results were laughably 50% accurate on person and gender, I imagine Google and Facebook have this thing down to a science. I'm usually not one to care about surrendering my rights and privacy to the machine, but for some reason my computer seeking out my 3 year old nephew without consent is scary.

It not only went through my pictures but my videos as well. I think to protect myself I am going to make sure that every picture I take is blurry beyond recognition of human or machine. Maybe I will do one better and return the camera (I think it might actually suck anyway) and just invest the money in stickynotes which I would use to draw pictures of the memories (cleavage) that I want documentation of.

Ok I'm done. Have you noticed I don't update as often? It's because I have lost my creative drive. Enjoy these poorly planned scraps while I'm still able to poop them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment