May 31, 2011

Review: Fuji XP20 Waterproof Camera


Last year I bought a Samsung camera off woot.com, it was actually my first real digital camera and I was excited for it. I like to document stuff and for the past couple of years I had mainly used my cellphone and video cameras to keep track of things. Cellphone's take terrible pictures, no matter how many megapixels they say they are every picture looks like a grainy piece of garbage on a good day. The camcorder is decent at pictures but bulky and usually not available when I am out and about.

I was slowly getting the hang of the Samsung, it had a screen on the front for taking the profile shot which was a nice gimmick. I think the "was" in the previous sentence is a sign that the camera was not long for this world. The screen was punctured by my keys when shoving it in my pocket. Here is a picture of my former cowriter in the broken viewfinder:

Five months after the Samsung died I was ready for love again. But finding the suitable partner was a problem. I had given myself a budget of 150 or under, as I don't know what I'm doing and just want something that can take a picture of what I point it at. With a Super Saturday ad bringing double discounts I decided to take a chance on the Fuji Film XP20. Reviews online ranged from Meh to pretty good and best of all it was waterproof and shockproof (probably key proof). I think the "was" in the previous sentence is a sign that the camera was not long for this world. In my ownership the XP20 showed no signs of dying, but it also showed no signs of being able to take a decent picture under any type of condition. Most settings I knew how to use on a camera were hidden away, and the ones available to use seem to be worthless. SLEEPY CRICKET said the photos had a nice "70's look" in an effort to affirm my purchase, I returned the favor by telling him it was a good idea to drink out of the doggie drinking fountain that we saw at the beach.

After wasting my time with it over memorial day weekend it was immediately returned and taken off my credit card. I'm not mourning the fact this camera didn't work out though. I'm jumping right back on that camera owning horse. There was a low-end Canon on sale at Radio Shack (I thought the chain went out of business) and I impulsively picked one up. Initial signs are positive but things don't fail on me until I need them so I'll have to report back on my next important occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment