Jan 4, 2012

You ARE A VALUABLE MEMBER OF OUR TEAM- Part 1

It continues...

Our hero pulls into the local superstore SS, he had worked there throughout his late high school and college life. He looked back on his time there with a reasonable amount of pride despite his career there beginning and ending as a cashier.

As he walks in he see's the greeter politely trying to stop another young man exiting the store. The man looked straight a head and moved forward in willful ignorance. Despite only wanting to get some supplies and clear his head, the situation caused him to spring into action. The young man passed him and approached the automatic door. Quickly with almost military precision our hero pulls the young mans pants down causing a number of obviously stolen items to spill out. The young man looks down at the merchandise in shock and then looks back up at our hero before even pulling his pants up. The shock quickly turns to anger but before he could react our hero gives the man a gentle push, causing him to trip over his dropped pants and fall into the breezeway. The man quickly composes himself and begins to confront our hero but then realizes that the rest of the store has stopped and is witnessing the scene. Our hero gives him a quiet wave which indicates that it is time for him to leave. Still surprised by the turn of events the man leaves with the merchandise remaining on the ground.

Our hero begins to pick up the almost-stolen goods and quietly puts them in a shopping basket to return to the guest service desk for restocking. As he picks up the basket the store slowly resumes business and the crowd loses interest. "These need to be returned," our hero tells the service desk attendant as he begins to walk off. "Hero..." a voice calls from inside the office behind the service desk. Our hero approaches, "good morning supermarket service manager" they remembered each other, not really a fond remembrance but better than most professional relationships that took place at the store.

"You just assaulted a SS shopper, that's not how we handle loss prevention in these parts."
"He was an SS stealer and I wouldn't worry he'll be back. I remember him pulling this kind of stuff back when i worked here."
"How long ago was that?"
"I think like 5 years."
"What do you think of the place?"
"It's gotten worse, a lot worse... they are saying the whole chain is going out of business."
"They say a lot of things.... would you like to come back?"
"I don't think I could be a cashier again"
"...You wouldn't be a cashier. We don't have cashiers anymore. We are all consultants now."
"Consultants from the liquidators.... so this place is going out of business."
"I don't know.... groceries are still coming in... we are being told that they are just adjusting somethings organizationally."
"Sure"
"Whatever they are doing, I feel like its time for me to look at some other jobs. I think you should babysit the store for me."
"You couldn't hire me if you wanted to"
"I don't want to hire you, just have you babysit the customer service for a while while I figure some stuff out. A couple days."
"I didn't come here looking for a job"
"It's 11:36 and you look like you've been crying. I think you are looking for something. Just cover the rest of the day for me and we'll talk about sticking around later tonight."
"This is nuts, no one is going to listen to me."
"People here still talk about you 5 years after you quit...."
"I wasn't even that good at working here!"
"I agree, let's inform the cattle that there's a new sheriff in town."
(supermarket service manager grabs the telephone on her desk and hits a series of numbers to use the intercom system).

"Attention SS team members and guests. Please welcome our returning friend HERO as he begins his first day as interim service manager."

(eyes of cashiers and employees of the area turn to the office)

"I'll be back at 7, have fun."

No comments:

Post a Comment