Jun 27, 2011

TKD

I've decided to take getting in shape to the next level.
It's a level that involves speaking in tongues, kicking invisible people, and lots of yelling.
You guessed it, I'm taking martial arts classes. Specifically TaeKwonDo.
TaeKwonDo is Korean for "the way of the hand and foot". It is a journey with yourself to find inner-peace, and to bring peace to other.
You also get to kick some serious ass!
The first ass I'm kicking is my own. It, and the rest of my body parts need to learn who's boss. I've been at is for three weeks and so far my collar bones have been the first to stand up and say "I want to be seen in the mirror!" It's nice to be able to feel them for a change.
On a good day after some serious stretching I can (for the first time) throttle my toes without bending my knee to show them whose boss.
I've always been sort of a martial arts geek. I enjoy cheesy Kung Fu movies and regard Chuck Norris and Jackie Chan as living legends. Because of this, while in class, doing kicks and kihaps (Korean for scream e.g. "Hiya!") even when I'm getting hurt (physically or emotionally) I may start to giggle at how cool it all is.
Besides all this, probably the best part about TaeKwondo is that the auto-correct really wants it to become "Wonderbra". No joke.
On a serious note, I've never been this flexible, this in shape, the regimen keeps me focused, and I'm really really enjoying it. I recommend martial arts to everyone! (Except the Swedes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment