Apr 16, 2011

SCRE4M. People owes me money because they said this movie would never exist.

Phone- *ring ring

C-Minus- Hello.

Phone- Hello Sydney

C-Minus- Hi Ghostface. I think you have the wrong number

Ghostface- SYDNEY IS DEAD. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE SCARY MOVIE?

C-Minus- Sydney is not dead. I know this because I just walked out of SCRE4M, which coincidently is my favorite scary movie.

Ghostface- ....

C-Minus- I'm serious SCRE4M is my favorite scary movie. Of all time.

Ghostface- You can not be serious. It was a money grab from an over-leveraged studio using one of the few franchises that it has left. Luckily the principal actors were doing worse than we were and offered to work for scale. Then we exercised a bunch of options that we had with a bunch of fresh faces, we figured some of them will make nice stabbing dummies.

C-Minus- And it worked. I didn't even smell the mildew from when you said Scream 3 was the last movie.

Ghostface- This is a new trilogy/reboot/remake (whatever offends each potential viewer less).

C-Minus- Well I gotta blog for a while and this gimmick isn't gonna be funny anytime soon. Good talking to you.

Ghostface- C-Minus wait!!!!! I need to toy with you more before get the poorly planned murdering on!

SCRE4M is a strange, strange version of Scream 1 but where Scream 1 already happened and characters acknowledging it every other line of dialogue. They make jokes about what happened in the first movie, and then they do exactly what happened in the first movie. Not only do these self and past aware characters make the same mistakes, they make those mistakes with the exact same characters who went through the same experience over the past 3 movies.

Once you get past the fact that everyone in the movie is an idiot, there are some jumps to be had in the movie and while I didn't laugh, the ignorant movie going audience seemed to. When did the laughs happen in Scre4m they were during the swear words and the stabs to private spots.

And when the murderers are revealed... well its a slight variation on the first movie. And I really wish at least one of them wouldn't have been caught. It would have handed over the reigns of the franchise to some new people, which is good because the original 3 are kind of terrible, and actually been interesting to see the spin in future scream movies. Future scream movies will be happening btw, whether this movie makes no money or every money. I will make this bet with you the same way I made it with multiple people who saw the 3rd one and said "no way! there'll never be another one!"

It's a dumb slasher movie, and I think knowing the original 3 might actually hinder your enjoyment of it.

*Also there is an awesome production problem that I thought was a clever reveal of the murderer. One character comes back from shopping while the others are being chased. All the stuff in her shopping bags was previously opening, most noticeably a box of cereal that wasn't even closed properly. I think that might have been a clue to an alternate ending since this actress seems like she wouldn't have signed on unless she could have a decent part.

No comments:

Post a Comment