Feb 8, 2011

Fedora's Exciting Career

this post was breaking the site for some reason, reposted.

Although C Minus gets down on himself and his job (and offers others the chance to tear him down even further), I happen to know that when it comes to his true calling, he is amazing.

C-Boy also works with the youth of tomorrow.

No wait, that would be fetuses…Okay, he works with the youth of today who are the future of tomorrow.

Anyway, Mi-Man is a mentor, and an agent of change. That’s what life is actually about. Teaching and changing. This is sort of what I want to do, too. This is exactly why I don’t enjoy what I do now.

(This is also why C Minus and I are kindred spirits, and for all the crap I give him, I love him to death and can’t wait to co-adopt a Chinese baby with him). Mr. Cricket, on the other hand, is just a cog in the capitalist machine.)

Right now, I literally take people’s money in exchange for stuff that was never mine, then hand that money over to someone else, who hands it to someone else, who pays them a little of it, who then pays me a little of it. It’s a joke. But it’s also a job, which is necessary right now. Here’s where we come to the difference between a job, and a career. A job is something you do just to make money and get by. A career is something you want to devote your life’s energy towards, so it had better be meaningful to you.

My dream “meaningful to me” is providing case management and counseling to people in need of it, particularly those struggling against substance abuse. After a successful interview and a job offer this morning, I may finally be taking a step in the right direction, after just jobing since I graduated. (Have I really done nothing with my bachelor’s degree for 8 months?)

This career starter seems to hit all the marks I was hoping for.

*In my field (Uses my degree.)

*Entry level, learn as I go (Don’t want to be overwhelmed.)

*Willing to work around my current job for now (I’m starting part time, and still need this insurance from Retailer, Inc.)

*Willing to work with me while in grad school (I start in the fall, so exciting.)

*Lots of room for moving up (Bossman says he’s excited to have me as a resource and will be giving me more responsibility with experience and education.)

*Pays more then I make now. (Shouldn’t be important, but it is.)

Now the only thing left is if I actually like the “this is a very challenging job, can you handle yadda yadda yadda…” job once I start…Did I make the right decision? Have the last 5 years been a complete waste? Just how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsiepop? The Fedora may soon know.

1 comment: