Feb 3, 2011

I forgot to eat dinner last night

I drove some junk and a car to Florida this weekend. It was for my parents who are staying there for a couple months. This is their second year down there and I think it is good for them. But who cares about them this is about me.

With them gone I have had to make adjustments. For the next months I am not a dweller in mammy's basement, I am the occupier of a residence. I am the man of the house, not that the man spot was in much competition with parents here but right now I control the entire residence. As a 27 year old this shouldn't excite me as much as it does. I have lived in a couple of places that are not my parents basement. And since I don't know where I am going with this blog post I will describe them to you now.

Move Out #1: Valley 2 Dorm at WMU
Room 515, it was actually a pretty sweet room as far as dorms go. It was on the corner of the hall so my roommate and I didn't have to share the bathroom with another room. It was also larger by a couple feet and had a high ceiling due to being on the top floor. I bought a sweet couch and threw my bed up on my roommates loft (creepily close to his bed frame but neither of us got any so it didn't matter). That combined with the recently released Xbox in my room it was a pretty sweet setup. Actually let me revise that statement, if it wasn't for my stoner/adderall dealing roommate, his townie friends, and the psychotic guy across the hall it would have been a sweet set up. But they existed so it was awful most of the time.

Highlight of the experience: Me at my most passive aggressive pouring a full can of grape soda on my roommates bed in response to him hotboxing our bathroom.

Move Out #2: Sister's Spare Bedroom
She was recently separated and I really didn't want to move back home over the summer of my freshman year. Living with her two year old son was awesome and I think its why we were so close up until he got too cool for me (he's 10 now). Sadly we have never gotten along as adults although we might be on the road to recovery (the trick is not to talk to each other). I was right next door to Meijer and fast food so I don't think I drove that summer.

Highlight of the experience: Me trying to do a pull up using a door and ripping it off the frame. Purchasing a 36" CRT TUBE TV and hauling it down a flight of stairs by myself.

Move Out #3: Studio Apartment
It had a bed that folded out of the wall, which I thought was pretty boss. I was the only one who thought that as I was too much of a shut in to have anyone over. I could hear the terrible traffic of Drake road through the wall and the heater was loud, expensive and worthless.

Highlight of the experience: Setting a shiny plate on fire in the microwave, putting it out with fire extinguisher, thinking the fire extinguisher just shot water and shooting it everywhere as a stress release. Minutes later realizing it shot a gross foam and I needed to clean it up. Then not cleaning it up until my mom cleaned out my apartment before I moved.

Move Out #4: Ghetto 2 Bedroom Apartment
Moved in with another heavily disturbed person who I worked with at Meijer. Apartment was in kind of a ghetto area but I am from the streets so they didn't mess with me. My best friend at the time lived right below me but was in a messed up relationship so I didn't see him much.

Highlight of the experience: Roommate angry at me using too much bandwidth unplugs my router and leaves the most awesome threatening note. I scan it and put it on the Internet. I'm trying to find a copy of it but I don't think I have it on this computer. There are tons of misspellings and I inverted the colors so it's white pen on black paper.

Move Out #5: Apartment in Royal Oak
Took the first and only job offer I had after college which the job was actually pretty good in title but terrible in pay and company association. I wanted a nice place to myself for once so I got a $620 apartment 20 minutes away from work in Royal Oak, one of the few fun areas by Detroit. $620 might not seem like a ton but my take home pay was around 350 a week so it was out of my budget. It was especially out of my budget when I got fired and was making 200 a week on unemployment. I held on to that apartment desperately though almost through the end of my lease. The place had a 24 hour gym and clubhouse with I loved. If the place existed near my current job I would definitely consider moving back.

Highlight of experience: free cable tv, water and internet because the respective companies forgot to turn off/change billing for service.

Move out #6: 2 Bedroom Apartment with COSTAR

Somehow I made a real college friend who I didn't realize I was friends with until after like 3 years of real friendship. We were in weird situations after college so we decided to move in together for a while. My current job had just started and was awful and he was getting serious about some chick so I actually didn't see him that much. Still the best roommate I've ever had. At the end of our lease he moved in with her and I moved home because my mom was having chemo (possibly to be discussed later).

Highlight of experience: Touch of the Downs (possibly to be discussed later, available for private showings but too hot for Internet)

Move out #7: ?????

Hasn't happend yet. What I thought would be 6 months of being a good son turned into 3.5 years of laziness with little signs of ending soon. Where, when and why will I move? I will let you know as soon as I figure it out.

Oh and I forgot to eat dinner last night because when my parents lived here they would always ask me if I had eaten. Without them asking me I forgot that I hadn't ate anything last night. I felt really weird but couldn't translate the weirdness to hunger. I didn't realize I was starving until 11AM this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment