Feb 1, 2011

Curling

Reason number 35 why I am cooler than you.
I love curling.

Jocks will tell you "Football is a game of inches".
I'll tell you "Bullcocks, football is a game of yards and even I know that. Curling is truly a game of inches. Inches, and screaming.

Here's how it works:
A team of 4 people with zero age-range restrictions take turns throwing a hunk of granite (called Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson) downs some ice. And by "throw" I mean "slide". Then two of the other teamies sweep the ice in front of it to make it go farther as needed. The rock will also curve, or "curl" (ah-ha!) on it's way in, making for stunning maneuvers around blockages. They want to get the rocks inside the house, which is a big bull's-eye to score. Whichever team can get "shot-rock" (the rock closest to the "button" (the center)) can score. They get as many points as they have rocks inside the house, closer the in the opponents closest rock. And if they get a rock in the center of the button, a genie will appear and grant the "skip" (that's the team-leader, and the person who throws the last rock, called the "hammer") three wishes. This then goes on for 10 ends, and lasts about 2hours.

It may sound boring, but there is just something mesmerizing about watching the rock glide across the crystaline ice, then clunk onto another rock and see them both fly away.
Or maybe I just enjoy seeing one man scream "HARD! HARD!" over and over again at two guys jerking their brooms as fast as they can. (See, Curling Terminology)

I write this post now, not as an anti-post for the up-coming Super Bowl, but becuase I finally forgot enough about the Olympic results to watch those games.
During the Olympics, I recorded EVERY curling match that NBC was showing, but I never really got to watch them live becuase I wasn't home then. I did, however, catch the results which meant I didn't want to watch the matches right away. So recently, I finally got tired of 48hours worth of curling burning a 147GB hole in my hardrive, and started to watch USA lose. Sure, I basically remember that Team USA stunk it up, but in the cold of the moment, the recordings seem live, and my cheers are legit.

1 comment: